Alright, I’ll stop being cynical. Devils coach Brent Sutter did light a fire under the Devils and it paid off, as they scored 6 goals to beat the LA Kings 6-3 on Saturday night.
In an interview with Stan Fischler after the game, he stated that the importance of this game was huge, and that the fact that it wasn’t against a divisional or conference opponent was irrelevant.
I tend to agree with the Maven since the Devils are coming off of a three game losing streak, two of which were against divisional opponents! They needed a win, regardless of who it was against.
In all seriousness, they did play well. Each goal came from a different stick, which is nice to see because it means that the team as a whole played well and there was a very nice balance in the line combinations. The Devils used a number of different methods to score goals as well, and not just the typical dump, run, and attempt. Colin White’s goal was made on a shot right off of the faceoff. Travis Zajac scored at a scramble at the net. David Clarkson scored on a toe-drag that could have easily been a simple dump in during a line change, but he put it on net and scored.
Colin White scored his first goal of the season, leaving Sheldon Brookbank as the only “active” Devils player without a goal. Sheldon Brookbank was a scratch for last nights game, along with Andrew Greene (healthy), Jay Pandolfo (expected to return this week sometime), and Cam Janssen (who is ready to return, but there are no open spots on the roster just yet).
The Devils next match-up is on Monday the 4th against the Pittsburgh Penguins. The game will be broadcasted on Versus. They have seen each other 5 times so far this season and have a 3-2-0 record. The Devils have 12 Goals For and 16 Goals Against when playing the Penguins this season.
And now for some Arena Observations:
* The Prudential Center is still awesome. The atmosphere is phenomenal, the inside is tremendous, and the sights are unique.
* John Oduya is looking better and better. I have criticized him a great deal, but it looks like he’s improving. I do not believe I can blame him for every mistake made during the game.
* Scoring is just what the doctor ordered. Their last win prior to Saturday night’s was January 22 against the Flyers in which they scored 7 goals.
* Jen (Strawberrie) was on TV. The family sitting in front of us knew someone from FSN, and thus the cameras just happened to pan up and show them. When they were shown on TV, you could see Jen in the top-right corner of the screen. If you have the game recorded, go to 2 hours and 3 minutes of the broadcast. I’ll post a screen shot when I get it. The leg next to her is mine.
* Jen also wanted me to post that her and I are engaged. She said she typed it on here somewhere but I can’t seem to find it. We got engaged on January 8th in the Gulf of Mexico. We were on a ship – not just floating around in the Gulf of Mexico.
* Its fun when you sit next to someone who doesn’t know hockey very well, and is confused why the crowd randomly chants “Rangers Suck.” For the record, that was not Jen.